Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tutorial: Replacing a Treadle Sewing Machine Belt

This weekend I replaced the belt on one of my treadles.
While the path for the belt is pretty clear cut, most of us do not have the wonderful little tool for joining the ends of the belt.  So, over the years, with the help of other treadle sewers, I've developed a process that works for me and may work for others.

While belts seldom need to be replaced, they do stretch with humidity and use, and sometimes can need to be shortened even after several years of use.  The last time I shortened this one, I did not do a very good job of making a hole and inserting the staple, and with the shortage of rain and humidity we've experienced this year, the belt shrunk and pulled a hole where one end of the staple was inserted.  The belt was then too short to be trimmed again (and is available for postage to anyone who needs a shorter belt than my machine requires).

First I ran the belt through the complete path in order to cut it to the correct length.

 These are the two little tools that help me pierce a hole.
 I first pierce a hole with a push pin, being very careful to center it and push it all the way through the belt.
 Then I screw a tiny o-ring all the way through the same hole in the belt...
flip the belt over and screw the o-ring through from the other direction.
 Then I inserted the staple through the hole and pinched it closed with a pair of pliers.
 I use bow rosin purchased from a music instrument store and....
with the belt engaged (and the needle unthreaded0 run the belt over the resin by treadling for a few seconds.

Any time the belt starts slipping, I reapply the rosin.

There is a very neat tool for piercing the hole, but since I have only two treadles, it seems unreasonable to spend about $40 on a tool...instead of fabric, thread or batting!

Happy quiltmaking......

6 comments:

Tina said...

Thank you for the info, I had used an icepick the last time I shorten mine. Your method has a lot more control.

bunbear said...

i don't have a treadle machine but it was interesting to see how you changed the belt and what you used.

how's the new job going? i'm so glad you are closer to home now. those hours travelling to and from work are tedious, in my opinion. good luck!

Dolly said...

So nice to know that someone is putting this type of hard-to-find information on the internet.

Next time someone googles this question, there you'll be !

Thank You !

Paula, the quilter said...

Thank you! Especially for the tip about rosin. I work across the street from a music store, so now I need to run over there and get some.

Cath said...

just goes to show....where there is a will, there is a way!
ps...I have tagged you in a game of blog tag. Go to my blog cathquilts.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/ive-been-taggedonce-more to read about it. No pressure - if you don't want to play along, no worries. Just a bit of fun.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Sylvia said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I haven't changed the belt yet on my treadle, so I'm glad to see the example here.

BTW - I found you through Cath's Bits 'n Bobs blog-tag post. I am now your newest follower. :-)

Sylvia
Leesburg, VA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...