Friday, December 6, 2013

On the Needles--and Shocking Weather

My cobalt blue scarf went from this ...

to this....
It became clear that it was just too wide--and it looked like I might run out of yarn, so I ripped it out, cast on half as many stitches, and started over.

I've also done some test swatches from some knitting worsted that, hopefully, will become my own legwarmers.  Haven't decided on a pattern yet.  (I added just a few stitches to the sweater that will not be done by Christmas.)


The news here, as in much of the rest of the country, has been the weather.  (I do realize I sound like an old farmer.)

Last week I picked up this new shovel.  Pricey, perhaps, but oh, my, does it ever take the work out of shovelling.


I also had to pick up new boots--so these must be in honor of my dad and grandpa too.  Great tread, warmer than the ones they wore, and, best of all, there's no manure in sight!
 The clerk who sold me the shovel warned me that snow can get very heavy and that it's a big shovel.  I assured him that I can choose how much snow to put it in at once.  Yesterday I shoveled my driveway and that of a couple of neighbor ladies--several times.  There is no way I could have done that without an ergonomic shovel--and I love the double handles.

I watched the temperature plummet last night--it was 0.9 F when I went to bed; it was -9 when I went out to shovel and warm the car this morning.  I went a little over ten miles, called work, and came back home.  Later today I learned that the overnight low was -17%.  I don't much like it when our little town sets records--or, in this case, has the lowest a.m. temperature in the state.  The trade-off was that the trees were gorgeous--and it appears it was all hoar frost rather than ice--but I didn't take any pictures.--Too preoccupied with not freezing and with staying safe.  How long 'til spring?

I'm going to try to link to Judy L's On the Needles linky for this week.

Happy quiltmaking,...

8 comments:

straythreads said...

beautiful blue and I can stop whining about our temps when you had -17. -2 was our high and don't know how much it will drop tonight the sun didn't warm thing up today except the mood.
stay warm

Judy S. said...

Love that blue! Brrr! -17 is brutally cold!

DragonPoodle said...

Stay safe! Gorgeous color.

Pokey said...

Your blue scarf is such a nice color. What a sweetheart you are, helping others by shoveling for them. I'm glad you are all decked out and sporting a new shovel.
BTW, we used our heater for the first time this year, it was only 35 degrees overnight. Be thankful for what we have, right?
:-}pokey

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Gorgeous blue scarf! I hope you keep warm. That shovel looks very cool! You're so nice to shovel out your neighbors! Stay indoors!

Cindy Sharp said...

Love that blue yarn. Hate to say it, but technically, winter hasn't started yet. Spring is a ways off.

O'Quilts said...

I cannot believe you...you are one strong woman!! shoveling snow for the neighborhood and surviving the weather...brrr..I am indeed impressed.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've got several shovels, and even an electric snow blower, when it is that heavy snow. I need some new boots, though. Are those warm?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...