Here's the conversion:
The conversion took less than 10 minutes--and that's with *no* instructions. I just removed the motor and the original hand wheel, and then I installed the new one. Honestly, it was so easy that my mind is still boggled! I've spent longer trying to adjust the thread tension than it took me to convert the machine!--The needlebar was set so low that the feed dogs had begun to wear on the bottom of the presser foot.
This machine is one more reminder that the "sewing police" think they know more than they really know; I think they usually speak from lack of experience and assume that what works on one or two machines is true for all.
I am so excited that I now have a quiet little machine that I can pick up and take anywhere (that "anywhere" includes outside--when we get real spring weather). I'm debating asking someone to tell me how to get the housing for the machine light apart so that I can rewire it, just in case I want to use the little lamp that was on the machine. It was wired into the motor--obviously the motor is off and no longer needed. (It was making a funny rattle noise anyway.)
I do love people powered sewing machines! (My friend Harriet reminded me that she and this little machine share the same birth year--the year my dad graduated from high school.)