Saturday, February 19, 2011

Whoop, Whoop! For My Friends......

I've accomplished very little, I thought....
I started these socks--got only this far....

 And they were going to be much too big so I ripped them out and will have to start over.
However, tomorrow is quilt dedication Sunday at church, so when the Victory Quilters met today, we spread out the quilts for tomorrow's dedication.
 We ran out of room at the front of the church and ended up spreading them on rows of chairs at the side of the sanctuary.
 On the sound control booth at the back of the sanctuary....



 And on the back of the last rows of chairs.  People will have to move forward a little tomorrow morning.





 This quilt was made by Judy in wonderful seashore theme fabrics and was one of my very favorites; it's one that needs to be seen in person--the colors are so subtle that I'm betting the fabrics sold better in quilt shops than on-line!








Judy and I both counted; there are fifty quilts.  [Three more quilts came in Sunday morning, so 53 were dedicated.] Spread out as they are, there will be plenty of room for people to spread out and lay hands on them as we pray for healing for the recipients.

Our quilt ministry began to make prayer quilts for people with cancer.  It has expanded to include church members and people we know who are facing other serious health challenges too.

So many beautiful quilts, so many hours of prayers, and much anticipated healing.

Clarification: Almost all these quilts have been made by four of us.  Occasionally someone takes a quilt kit, assembles it, and gives it back to us.  Two or three other ladies take them and sew down the backside of the binding. Because they are not distributed until they are blessed in a church service, and because we don't hold a blessing service until the stack of bless quilts is getting low or until we are running low in an area of potential need (this time we were running out of quilts for children, and we rarely have children with a need), we do not have a quilt blessing every month.  We just keep making quilts and praying and are always surprised to see so many quilts when we do the dedication service.  I think we each make more than we realize we make--so the dedication service is an important opportunity to see the new group.

6 comments:

Pokey said...

That is such a beautiful act to do, I've only prayed over my own work to it's recipient. Thanks for the share, Dora, and what great quilts, and a great ministry to be part of!
:-}pokey

Sarah Craig said...

Wow!! That is a fabulous display of love and caring!! We do our ministry quilts one by one and deliver them, so we don't have a chance to see them all at one time - it is an amazing thing to see yours and I love the idea that your congregation will be praying over them before they go to their recipients. Keep up the good work!!

PS I love your socks, even if you had to take them out and start over. You're much farther along on making socks than I am for sure!! Whoop whoop!! Thanks for linking up!! See you next week for the giveaway!!

yarndiva said...

Amazing display of talent in your congregation. Like the color of the socks too, you will not be able to keep from smiling when those are on.

Val said...

What an awesome thing to do. I love this. I wish that I could find some quilters around here that I could learn from and then also have a get together to do something like this. I am so amazed at this. What a blessing this is.

Linda said...

That is a wonderful thing to do. I have never heard of a church doing that and I think it is amazing. I have made quilts at churches and given them to them to be given to children's homes but I don't know if they were blessed. I'm going to have to share this info with my church. These are all beautiful. thanks for sharing.

antique quilter said...

this is so nice of you and your friends to do this.
I love making quilts and donating them to our local hospital for the low income babies that rarely go home with or in anything new but a quilt made by me or one of my friends that do this as well
keep up the good work. your so inspiring, I will have to make a baby quilt in the next week to donate.
Kathie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...