Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Here, Piggy, Piggy (a quilt)

The last time the Victory Quilters met, we went through some bags of donated fabric.
Six little piggies were in those donations.

 Two of the piggies were large one-inch checked spring green gingham.

The other four were this plaid that looks like it could be 40 to 50 years old, maybe more.  Just the pigs, no background.  We're guessing someone was going to make a quilt and changed her/his mind.
 Just looking at them made me smile. I'm wondering if the pigs were published in something like Woman's Day or Family Circle back in the 50's or 60's.  They just have that air about them. Sometimes the Farm Journal published sewing projects, but I think these were probably too big for their publication.

Of course, I volunteered to quilt them if someone would applique them and make a quilt top, so Ruth took them home to do just that.  (There is an additional border at the top and bottom, but I didn't catch that in my quick photo.)

Ruth added what looks like pieced sashing, but it's cheater-cloth left over from some other project.  I just love the appliqued eyes, tiny ric-rac eyebrows, and frayed braid curly tails she added.  I'm not a "brown" person when it comes to fabric, although I do like to eat chocolate sometimes, and am thrilled that this is such a happy quilt.  I don't know if I'm going to quilt piggy tails all over the pigs or, maybe, traveling feathers!  I also have not yet decided what color of Fil-Tec Glide thread to use.  Maybe gold!  Gold thread certainly gets a work out on my quilts, but I find it just enhances so very many colors and styles.

The really nice thing is that either Ruth or Judy also basted the quilt, so it's ready to be quilted. There are more hogs all over the back of this quilt--a really fun fabric I'd never before seen.  I'll show it to you when I make more quilting progress.

Happy quiltmaking....

7 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

What a sweet baby quilt or wall hanging this will make! I love how that cheater sashing so perfectly complements the plaid piggies!

JoAnne said...

Those pigs are adorable! I love that old plaid.

Cindy Sharp said...

Oink!

Cyn said...

What fun.

Shannon said...

Sooooo adorable! Love those pigs in plaid! I'm especially happy that their tails all curve differently.

bunbear said...

really cute!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

These pigs are so cute! Love the tails!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...