Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Kindle Case for Sweet Coed

My Sweet Coed and I are in need of cases for our Kindles.  I made hers today.
Back of cover on the left; front on the right.

Here's a detail of one of the fancy feathers.
The fabrics are scraps and pieces left over from her music quilt and her college quilt.

The inside includes her scraps and a butterfly print left over from a baby quilt that I made last summer. 
I put a full pocket on the left and strips to hold it while in use on the right. I was going to just make triangle corners to hold it, but those seemed even more fiddly.  Maybe I'll use triangle corners when I make mine.

Of course, the screen caught my camera reflection... 

so I took a photo of the back. 
When I was much younger I loved to spend hours creating all kinds of fiddly things like this cover.  While I had fun doing this scrappy piecing and quilting it, it did take hours to make it. I think that may be one of the reasons I prefer quilts over projects.  It also seemed very strange to be quilting something so tiny.  Interesting.

Sunday night, while watching Downton Abbey, I cast on the ribbing for my beret. 
 Imagine, all these decades of knitting, and this is my first attempt at twisted ribbing...Well, first conscious attempt, since I did some rather strange stuff when I knit as a child.

Finished the cabled socks. Somehow, I started at the toes with the exact same spot in the yarn, but by the time I got to the tops, the stripes were off.  Fortunately, they'll be up under my slacks and no one will notice--at least, not unless I get brave enough to wear socks with skirts.  It's too cold for skirts anyway.

Loved my day off.  Sweet Coed phoned that she needed  some more homemade detergent, so this evening I grated one bar of Fels Naptha soap, added one cup of Borax, one cup of Washing Soda, and 1 teaspoon of  lavender essential oil,   and packaged it up in a quart size ziploc bag inside a gallon bag. (I unwrap the bars of soap so they can dry out before I need to make a new batch--they grate finely and quickly if they are dry.) We use just one or two tablespoons of detergent for most loads of laundry and have clean, pleasant smelling clothes for less than a nickel per load--definitely worth the little bit of labor.

I made a big pot of tortellini soup and put it in containers.  The Coed was jealous of the soup--but I can't stick that in the mail with her detergent and her Kindle cover.

Happy quiltmaking...and knitting...,


Lynn said...

Sweet projects! I think the stripes are good a little "off", why not! Beautiful!

Gene Black said...

I really like the socks. Some day (if I live to be very old) I may learn to knit.

Dolly said...

Great job !

And I'm crazy about your new blog header..........your feather-quilting SHOULD be shown off !

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like those socks. I don't care if all the stripes are in the same place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...