Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Robin's Song

 This began as two of these. The fabrics are Papillon by 3 Sisters for Moda Fabrics.

 The pattern is "A Ritzy Cracker Quilt" by Mary Lane Brown of The Tulip Patch
Yes, I know it's unusual for me to use another designer's pattern.  However, I love asymmetrical blocks sometimes--and I'm always looking for patterns that work well with free motion quilting. Mary's pattern will let both the fabric and the quilting shine!

Where Mary used white, I used a robin's egg blue that has much less gray than the blue in this fabric line, so it turned out perfect!
 I love the three butterfly specimen fabrics in this line--one beige on beige, one blue on blue, and one gray on beige.

 However, for the border I'm adding to this quilt, I chose this blue.  Its design is scattered enough to share some of the limelight with the quilting. I ordered the border fabric  and some of one of the gray prints for binding from Somewhere Sewing.

 Since two days ago my yard looked like this, I'm ready for spring.  I sewed this on my treadle, watching this tree, that was not filled with birds today since the snow is gone and they were busy looking for food.

My friend sent me this partial quilt top that she created from a charm pack. She decided she didn't like it--but I'll add a border and will have a great time quilting it.
The Robin's Song quilt is for a tiny little girl, but I'm not sure about the destination of the charm square quilt--although I do know that it will be full of prayers for whoever receives it.

We did have another prayer quilt dedication at church Sunday, but I didn't take a single picture--although my camera was lollygagging in my purse!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love the blue- it goes so nicely with the fabric and makes everything look vintage and loved. I am a huge fan of the assymetrical blocks, too...they are fun to play with.

Pokey said...

What a good choice to use the blue, it is so complementary with your fabric! Sometimes, white seems so stark to me. I hope you are seeing spring outside your window soon ~
:-}pokey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...