Saturday, March 24, 2012

Taste of Hawaii

 Months ago a friend handed me this quilt because she didn't know how to quilt it, and I assured her I could come up with something.  So for months I kept walking past it, trying to figure out something.
She'd given it to me already spray basted, and I started to think the spray might stop working before I got started! Sometimes the only way to get started is to start.  So I started--by stabilizing it with So Fine Thread. Then I stitched around on it some more.

I used size 50 so it wouldn't show up much and so the decorative quilting in a heavier thread would show up well.--All fine and dandy except there is no decorative quilting!  Note: Superior Threads has a great website that suggests needle sizes.  They suggest 80/12 which would be okay for piecing.  However, I will admit that I use a 90/14 with this thread for both piecing and quilting.  The link to So Fine Thread in the previous paragraph, gives you a chance to try this thread at a discounted price, just in case you're not already using it.

Anyway, now that I'm at this point, I *still* don't know what I'm going to do for quilting--except that I'll put a smallish meandering feather in the border.  The border is only about 3.5 inches wide.  I'm sure the quilt would be just fine as it is now, but I do think I want to add something special somewhere.  Maybe I just need to stare at it some more.

I'm not quite sure why this quilt makes me think of Hawaii--and I'm not at all sure Hawaii has any of those petroglyph drawings anywhere in that state...Still makes me think of Hawaii!

Happy quilting, all.....

P.S.:  I made some decisions and added some quilting designs.  I'll add some photos below when  I get the opportunity.

2 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Someone sent me a spool of Sew fine but I read that it can melt so not to piece with it.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Anything can melt or catch on fire if it gets hot enough. I'm guessing that a few years ago there were several people who let very hot irons rest on the thread and it did melt. A lot of people who use Coats & Clark thread think it's cotton, but it's 100% polyester. So Fine performs a lot better than many of the other threads I've tried.
I've been using it both for piecing and quilting for years. I use a hot iron when piecing, and I've never managed to melt the thread.

That's my experience. If my experience changes, I'll reconsider, but it's had plenty of opportunity to melt and has never done so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...