Tuesday, February 17, 2015

More Than Two Decades Later!

I pieced this years ago--1992, I think.
 I pieced another the same weekend, and it was hand quilted by the end of 1992.
I was in the process of buying a house, so this one was packed away.  I pulled it out several times during the intervening years, but it ended up back in a box.

By the time it came out of a box again last fall, I'd pretty much forgotten it.  It's a small treasure intended to be a wall hanging.  It measured only 31 by 40 inches.

It's now quilted.  These colors do not play well when photographed.  The violet is the color of the violets that grew wild in the midwest.  The turquoise is bluer.  And what looks like teal is very close to a kelly green. Maybe their inability to play well with cameras and in print is why I never see these colors in quilt magazines.
 It's comprised of six whirlygig blocks, which are comprised of eight flying geese segments.

 I quilted with violet on the violet, an ashy medium green on the green, and a light turquoise on the rest of the quilt.  I used Fil-Tec  Glide.

 My favorite parts are the two-inch turquoise border,...

and the five inch outer border. I would have guessed that the five inch border would be too narrow for my curvy beribboned borders, but they worked out just fine.

I can't think of any spot in my current house where this quilt would work. So I'm thinking it will become a Victory Prayer Quilt for someone in a wheel chair because it's small enough not to get caught in the wheels.

I had also forgotten how fast it can be to quilt something of this small size.  Wonder how long it will take me to get binding cut and sewn.  (First I have to find a suitable solid.)


Happy quiltmaking and knitting.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

Beautiful quilting! This is a lovely little quilt.

Mari said...

It might be 20 years old but it looks very modern. Very nice work!

Lara B. said...

Dora, what a lovely idea to make this a prayer quilt. It is very pretty and someone is sure to appreciate it!
Are you Missy's friend Dora, who will be quilting her log cabin quilt for her?

Esther Aliu said...

What a fun and fabulous quilt. I really don't want to think about my 13 year old WIPs that have been waiting for me since I started out in quilting. Gulp!

Heather Graves said...

I love these colors and the quilting is beautiful!

MegsAnn said...

This'll make a lovely wheelchair quilt. Photography is tricky when the colors don't come out true. Still, I love what I can see. :) The quilting is fun and it's always great to finish a project that's been waiting for a while. www.quiltartbymegan.com

Laura Chaney said...

How fun to be finishing a project from so long ago. Love the colors, looking beautiful!

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Dora your little quilt is wonderful! I am sue it must feel good to finish a project that has been waiting to be finished for twenty years. Thank you for sharing what there's you used I have not heard of it before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...