Sunday, February 15, 2015

Ruth's Prayer Quilt of Quick Flowers

I just realized I hadn't posted this--and it was because I hadn't written the post.
 This week I quilted Ruth's flower quilt.  Missouri Star Quilt Company posted Jenny Doan's tutorial for what they called a Flower Garden around 2011, and about a year ago posted an update with cornerstone sashing.  Jenny made hers with a charm pack.  Ruth used eight or nine inch blocks for hers.
 The blocks are made by snowballing three corners of each of two sets of squares and then setting them together. Ruth used a variety of fabrics, probably ones she already had in her stash.

 Ruth was responsible for the original idea for our prayer quilt ministry back in 2005 or 2006.  She had recovered from cancer, knew she had fabrics in her stash that she was unlikely to be able to use, and hoped to bless others.





At another time I may have chosen to feather this quilt, but we are trying to get our supply of prayer quilts built back up.
 Therefore, much of this quilt is adorned with swirlies, and the entire quilt uses Fil-Tec Glide thread in Pearl.

 The inner sashing received those Palmer handwriting method loops--albeit these would not have received approval from my mother because the lines would not have been judged straight enough.

 The cornerstones received plumped crossed-canoes.
And the narrow borders received the figure eights with very fat loops.

 I was in the mood for a little bit of pink, but am happy to have chosen the pearl thread color rather than the pink.

This quilt is now ready for binding and blessings.

And I'm about to make and consume another pot of tea to drive away this sinus/respiratory visitation.  I have tomorrow off for Presidents' Day and a busy week ahead, so I definitely am not happy to spend part of it under the weather--which will continue to give us high temperatures in the 60s until Tuesday when the next winter storm arrives.

Happy quiltmaking and knitting,

1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm making that same quilt (times 2) but in 30's prints. I need to finish at least one of them, as it will be a wedding present. Since I don't FM, my quilting won't be nearly as pretty as yours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...