Friday, April 20, 2012

Finished Quilt: Sweet Spring Baby Quilt

Finished except for laundering and mailing.
 Simple little 4-patch strippy quilt created from an aged to perfection charm pack: Eclectic by Moda as well as some yardage of one of the prints  along with a big of a Mary Ellen Hopkins fabric (very well aged) and some solid aqua, probably a Kona Cotton.
 Piped binding--except it's not really.  I cut two strips cross-grain: 1-3/4 inches of aqual, 1-1/2 inches of violet, sewed them together, ironed seam allowance toward the aqua, folded it in half and pressed so that a scant 1/8 inch of aqua showed.  Then I sewed it to the back of the quilt, turned it to the front, and stitched with "invisible" thread where the aqua joins the violet.
 I have a friend who does something similar except she presses the seam toward the narrower strip so that her binding has more of a flange.
 This is the second time I've done this, and next time I'll try cutting the "piping" 3/16 inch wider than the "binding" and see if I like that a little better.

The next four pictures who how I dealt with the quilting at each of the corners.
 There is a bit of symbolism here about the corners we turn in life and how even our new journeys re connected to the old.
 The quilt was pieced, partially quilted, and bound with my treadled Necchi BU from the late 1940's.
 The quilting was done on the Necchi and on a treadled Singer 15-88 (or whatever the number for the "convertible" was) from 1936.
This was quilted with one or two well-aged Madeira threads and my new Fil-Tec Glide. (That Fil-Tec Glide just gives me so much enjoyment both while I'm using it [absolutely no tension issues] and when the quilting is done!)
The batting was a Hobbs 100% cotton batting that's been in my stash for quite a while.

And since a party seems like a good idea I'm going to link to some.  (Actually the party I should be having is a car washing party.  We had a storm yesterday evening with only a tiny bit of rain.  However, after an afternoon of high winds, there was plenty of dust in the air, so my car looks like someone was spitting mud at it!  Ahhhh, spring in New Mexico!--At least it's a beautiful sunny day so far today!  That's good since I did come to NM in large part for the 301 days of sun a year!)

Please visit the following parties to see what other quilters and crafters have been up to.
Sarah's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Karen's Find a Friend Friday
Amanda's Finish It Up Friday at crazy mom quilts
Amy Lou Who's Show and Tell Fridays
Richard's Link a Finish Friday

I love to visit these blogs and discover more inspiration.

I've also linked to Karen at Sew Many Ways Sew Darn Crafty #62.  Lots of inspiration in those links!.

Happy Quiltmaking.......

9 comments:

Kat said...

What a sweet quilt and the quiltilng is SPECTACULAR! I have never seen a "piped" binding like that before. What a great effect!

Unknown said...

Beautiful.
Have a great weekend ..

Cassie Beutler said...

I love the symbolism. This quilt looks fantastic!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Dora, I chose you for a Liebster Blog Award! Go to my blog and follow the directions! Congratulations!!

Maria Kievit said...

Very nice quilting and quilt! Thanks for posting these pics.

Auntie Em said...

HI Dora,
I just found your blog from Rosemary at the Knitting Quilter. Love your quilt and the quilting is beautiful.

DragonPoodle said...

Your quilting is absolutely gorgeous! and the whole quilt is just lovely. Congratulations on a job well done!

Nicole said...

The quilting on this is beautiful, Dora!

Unknown said...

Absolutely a treasure!
stunning quilting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...