Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Modern" Quilt?

I see a lot of modern quilts that are very intriguing, and sometimes I see modern quilts that I don't like and that make me wonder why anyone would invest that much time for that result.  Sometimes I see quilts that someone has labeled "modern" when, in fact, the maker[s] just didn't yet have the skills or patience needed to do a good job of piecing.  I've been playing with a design that is more modern than traditional for a while, but don't yet have anything to show for it.

I do know that a great deal of the lure of a "modern" quilt is that there can be so much room for quilting, although I'm sure I would fill that space with some very traditional quilting.

However, my mind usually draws a blank when I think about creating one.  The one above actually isn't a quilt; it's the backing for the Sweet Spring Baby Quilt.  I can do this sort of thing when designing a backing, but, apparently, not when it's going to be "the quilt."

Well, I suppose the other trick will be that when I do get around to designing a modern quilt for my home, it will need to fit into cottage style since that is the style that makes my home a haven for me---in contrast to my daughter, who longs for glassy, glossy modern just one step from sterile.

Maybe I just need to continue designing quilt backs until I'm comfortable enough to design a modern quilt front.....Hmmmmm.

P.S:  Bonnie Hunter posted a linky party for "What's on your Bed?" yesterday, and I linked to my 'Home Sights' post.
It is so much fun to see what people have on their beds this week.  I'm sure you'll want to take a look: quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-on-your-bed.html

9 comments:

Missy Shay said...

At this stage, I could never make a pattern at all. Like you, I like some modern quilts and others I do not like.

Mary said...

I realize after 3 years of quilting that I am not a "modern" quilter. I make sometimes "clean line tradtional" quilts, but not modern. Our antique mall has lots of quilts/tops and the ones that stand the test are not the wonky slapped together quilts...but the ones that took more skill to make. That has stuck with me and made me really think about how my quilts will look in 100 years and it's made me want to "step up my game". Oh, and if I never see another wonky log cabin again I will be ok with that!!!

DragonPoodle said...

My take on "modern" quilting is that it is a design aesthetic rather than a specific set of techniques or approaches and that it is just the latest fad. I don't mean that in a negative way, styles come and go. Like you said, some will ring your chimes, some won't, some will be well constructed, some won't.

Anything that gets new people interested in quilting is a good thing IMHO. my own problem with this aesthetic is all that blank space--my quilting is NOT the best and I rely heavily on prints to disguise the actual quilting!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful backing, I am more of a traditional quilter too. I struggle like you with modern. Thanks so much for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Miss Hillbilly said...

I think I have decided I kind of like more traditional with modern color. Maybe. I guess. Actually I don't know what I like. or don't like. LOL

Mike Pearson said...

If you made it today, then it's modern. End of story. Modern is what you make of it. Are you using it today? Does it do what you want it to do? Does it go with your idea? It's probably modern. Give it love in 2012 and it's modern. Anyway, loved the post. Following you now :)

Maria Kievit said...

I have never tried the modern look. Much prefer it to be traditional. But every person is different, and this is one way to express ourselves. Found you via Marcia's small blog linky.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Hi Dora, For me--"I Never Say Never" Things that I thought I would never make and then have--Have become some of my favorite pieces. I enjoyed reading your blog and subscribed by email as a follower. Found you at Marcia's Blog. Hope you can stop by and visit me at http://helenernst.blogspot.com/

Kwan'sQuilt said...

Hi Dora
Because I just start quilting for a few years, I love them all, both traditional and modern quilts.
By the way,I'm your follower now. I found you at Marcia's linky party.
My Blog : http://kwansquilt.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...