This weekend I replaced the belt on one of my treadles.
While the path for the belt is pretty clear cut, most of us do not have the wonderful little tool for joining the ends of the belt. So, over the years, with the help of other treadle sewers, I've developed a process that works for me and may work for others.
While belts seldom need to be replaced, they do stretch with humidity and use, and sometimes can need to be shortened even after several years of use. The last time I shortened this one, I did not do a very good job of making a hole and inserting the staple, and with the shortage of rain and humidity we've experienced this year, the belt shrunk and pulled a hole where one end of the staple was inserted. The belt was then too short to be trimmed again (and is available for postage to anyone who needs a shorter belt than my machine requires).
First I ran the belt through the complete path in order to cut it to the correct length.
flip the belt over and screw the o-ring through from the other direction.
Any time the belt starts slipping, I reapply the rosin.
There is a very neat tool for piercing the hole, but since I have only two treadles, it seems unreasonable to spend about $40 on a tool...instead of fabric, thread or batting!