Monday, April 6, 2009

More Victory Quilts

To the left is the International Harvester Quilt--really old International Harvesting equipment, as in horse-drawn and early gas engine tractors.

The detail below shows the quilting in the windmills. The colors shown in the entire quilt are much less green than in the detail photo.

Once again, I needed a strategy to widen a width of fabric and used pieced blocks and strips because I had enough length, just not enough width.
Tomi volunteered to finish the backside of the binding. Thanks, Tomi.

These are final photos of the cowboy quilt I showed last week. I used the same fabric for binding that I had used for the "fences." The fabric used for the backing was a wonderful old polished-cotton shirting print (only 36 inches wide), so once again I pieced blocks to make the backing wider.
I'm grateful to Cathy for taking this quilt to sew down the binding, so that I can get on to making more quilts. Thanks, Cathy.
It's hard to believe that just six weeks ago we had a huge supply of quilts. I'm wondering if other quilt ministries have found the last few weeks to be difficult for a great many of the recipients.
I've cut out a "toad" quilt and a couple of "flowerdee" quilts (as they say in the Appalachians) and would love to find some more farm fabrics--that match some of the tractors and farm equipment I grew up with--but I don't think anyone has licensed J. I. Case or Allis-Chalmers designs for fabric. With so much of our nation's agriculture industry being consumed by huge farms that put the little guys out of business, those would be pretty nostalgic too.
Another of my colleagues told me today that her mom is having cancer surgery next week. Lots of people need our support and prayers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...