Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Damask & Hardware

Blue damask tablecloth and matching napkins.  They'll go into separate projects.  Tablecloth has a hole patched with blue silk ribbon--not very well done, so it may receive an applique with nearly matching hand dyed fabric.

Other stuff is from Harbor Freight.
I have loved hardware stores and lumber yards since I was three years old.
The background story:
I was three, standing at my mom's side in our farm kitchen when my dad came in and asked me if I wanted to go to Gridley with him to get Bob Whar.  As usually happened when he went anywhere, he got involved in some long winded conversations, and I wandered around the hardware part of the store looking at bolts, nails, screws, and finding myself being tutored by a couple of their salesmen, learning such things as the differences between two-penny and five-penny nails.  I had a great time, and forgot all about our purpose there.
On the way home I realized we were missing someone and asked, "Where's Bob Whar?"
Dad replied, "In the back of the truck."
I peered out the back window of our 1948 green Studebaker pickup truck, but all I saw back there were some boxes.  Although I don't remember our exact conversation, it took a minute or so before I understood our errand had been to purchase some barbed wire!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...