Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Saturday Victory Quilting

Saturday was our monthly meeting for Victory Quilters, our prayer quilt ministry at Mountainside United Methodist Church in Cedar Crest. Here is the visible evidence of what I accomplished.
 Actually, my accomplishments were nothing to brag about.  I managed to cut about 28 strips from seven fabrics.  Four of these fabrics are gifts from my friend Mary, who often sews bindings on quilts for our ministry.  The gold and two violet fabrics are from my stash.  I then sewed about four pairs of strips together on my 1952 Singer Featherweight.  (The Featherweight was a gift from my friend Harriet almost 25 years ago.)

Yes, I was side-tracked.  Someone had donated several bags of fabric that we had to sort.  That took a little while. Then I decided my Featherweight foot control needed a little "souping up" because it was sooooo slow.  (I found out about someone who was horribly badgered and threatened with being banned from a sewing machine list because she called a foot control a "toe pedal."  Actually, when it comes to sewing machines, I understand that "toe pedal" has been used in the South for a long time, something that must have escaped the attention of the person who wanted to ban her. I'm so happy to see people using vintage and antique machines that they can call the FC just about anything and I'll still be happy they are using their machines!) 

I did not get this toe pedal "souped up" enough, so I have a phone call in to my friend Bobbie (who definitely lives in the South), because she's had a lot more experience than I at souping them up!--I've done it, but it was nearly 25 years ago, and I remembered a lot more before I got kicked in the head!  My machine has a new-old foot control, which is now a year old, courtesy of Rocky, the Sew-Man, also known as an OSMG, who lives nearby.  I need to get this machine moving more quickly.

In other news, I've decided that when I take my Sweet Teen to youth group, it makes no sense to drive home and have to drive back to get her or to let someone else bring her home (because they always lose track of time and then I worry).  Although I consider myself little more than a beginning knitter, people frequently ask me if I'll help them learn to knit.  I'm thinking we need a Knit-Tea Night.

That would give me a chance to chat with others while I'm knitting and waiting for her.  It would give other parents and grandparents something pleasant to do while they are waiting for their children or grandchildren.  Furthermore, it would give anyone who wanted something pleasant to do at the end of a work week the chance to unwind and untangle from work challenges while doing some handwork.  We're calling it Knit-Tea Night, asking people to bring some knitting, crocheting, embroidery, tatting, etc. and a favorite teacup and saucer or mug, and just spend a pleasant hour or two stitching and relaxing.  (One woman at church told me if she brought knitting, she would be anything but relaxed!  Hmmmm, I think looking at a pretty magazine like Victoria or Southern Lady or Tea Time or even an e-reader might work!)

Happy quiltmaking,......

5 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Knit-tea night sounds like a lovely idea! Hope you have a good turnout.

Unknown said...

Great idea! Lovely time for friendship and fellowship among the adults. As for me, we live five minutes from church and a friend and I split the driving. I sometimes work an errand in that slot but mostly I just go home and sew!

Lynn said...

Sounds wonderful!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

The Knit and tea night sounds wonderful and much better than driving all the way and back. Your strip blocks look great! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Carolyn said...

Knit-tea night sounds great. I love vintage sewing machines and have used my treadle a few times. I need to have to wiring redone on my domestic rotary, can't wait to use it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...