Saturday, March 16, 2013

Another New Quilting Experience

 On this National and International Quilting Day I did have another new quiltmaking experience.  Today was our monthly quilt together for our Victory Prayer Quilt group. 

Although I took my Featherweight, it never made it out of the case.  I did get some pieces cut for another prayer quilt and some poor stitching ripped out of another prayer quilt.  I was looking for a possible fabric to add to the patches I had cut out when Judy said, "I'm not sure how to quilt these borders, although I know you'd put feathers in them."
I replied, "Yes, I would.  And if you'd trust me to use your machine, I'd be glad to put feathers on your quilt."  She trusted me, so I did.

 I'd never before stitched for more than a minute or two using a Bernina Stitch Regulator.
 In addition, while I know a lot of quiltmakers enjoy piecing and quilting with Connecting Threads cotton thread, this was my first time to use it. I do understand that the Bernina Stitch Regulators are quite expensive.  I didn't really understand that they regulate the size of stitches only with a range.  My stitches are equally as uniform when I do free motion on my treadles--and that came as a big surprise to me.
Judy found this Thomas Kincaid panel several years go.  Then she was fortunate enough to find very recently the coordinating all over print for the backing.  (Sorry, I didn't get a picture of that.)  I feel good that we were able to finish one quilt to the binding stage today--and happy that I was able to have some positive new experiences while helping the quilt make it to that stage.
I also am happy that she let me bring a couple other very pretty, already layered quilts home with me to quilt.  I'll try to get photos of them tomorrow.  However, I'm not at all sure when I'll get them quilted.  She has already given me other layered quilts that I haven't had time to finish.  They are really pretty, girly, and spring-like; I'll try to photograph them and get them on the blog some time in the next few days.

I head back to school Monday--I'm thinking it will be a pretty tough week with multiple IEPs and three days of state testing [and keeping kids occupied in positive ways during the times they are not testing].  Fortunately, as a senior, Sweet Teen will not have to test, although she was "chosen" to take the National Assessment of Educational Progress the week before last.  She will need to head down to the southeastern part of the state for an FFA competition, although she's not yet sure which day she will be competing.

I did get to Natural Grocers to pick up some supplements today, and I'm hoping they will help with the brain stuff I'm experiencing.  The numerous anxiety attacks I experienced one day early in the week have decreased dramatically, thank goodness, so I'm having only several a day.  I do hope they are merely a reflection of the date and not of a bunch of backward steps.  We definitely need a national data base to provide some clues about what is within the range of "common" when experiencing healing from brain injuries.

I hope you all have a fun St. Patrick's Day.  (Is the Chicago River still dyed green in his honor?)

Happy quiltmaking.....

6 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

You are so experienced especially with feather quilting, I suspect the BSR had a difficult time keeping up with you! I tested one before ending up with my Janome last year and found it more difficult to quilt with the BSR than without it.

Pokey said...

Again, your feather stitches are so well made, with beautiful form, lovely! The stitch regulator isn't for everyone, I think it can be like training wheels for some folks.

I will be praying for your upcoming week at school ~

Michelle said...

Wow. Your quilting is amazing! Your friend should be very happy, and you should be very proud!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I saw pictures of the Chicago river, all green. I've not seen it green in person.

Sue Daurio said...

Love the feathers, just beautiful. And yep that river is still dyed green every year, crazy huh?

bunbear said...

yup the river was dyed green!

dora, you are soooo talented! those feathers are just beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...