Saturday, June 16, 2012

Friday Night Sew-In: I Sewed!

It seems that for months it has just been impossible to join the Friday Night Sew-In.
Then I realized that last night was the night and that instead of staying in and sewing, I was at a friend's house basting a quilt.  Then I realized that since we sew-basted it, that does count!
 These are wonderful, warm gold through deep brown fabrics that Shelli purchased in a Bali-Pop.
When her husband saw the piecing in progress, he said, "That's *my* quilt."
Unfortunately, the exposure on my six-year-old camera just wasn't accurate enough to catch the
 warmth of these colors.
 When I saw this quilt top about a month or so ago, I said, "I want to quilt that quilt!"  Shelli said, "You can do that!"
 Shelli grew up in a family of quiltmakers who also did other needlecrafts.  She had many quilts and other treasures, including a huge can of tatted lace that had been taken off garments that had worn out.  In 2004, their house burned to the ground, and they lost everything it contained (except their memories).
Shelli has recently returned to quiltmaking--and she remembers some very helpful things she learned as a child, but the world of quiltmaking is very different today.  Shelli and I handbasted this quilt, and I brought it home with me--and I'm eager to try the ideas I have for quilting it.

I do pin-baste often, but this is a large quilt, so working together we could hand baste it and be done in much less time than if we were to pin baste and close hundreds of pins.

I'm still working on the borders of Blanche's Robin's Song quilt, and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it tonight.

I also haven't yet decided which treadle I'll use for this Golden Autumn quilt (my title; I don't know if Shelli has given it a name yet), and I'm thinking I may just do some on both since they both use class 15 bobbins.

You may want to check on the Friday Night Sew In projects of a few other people at this link:


Handmade by Heidi
Happy quiltmaking....

1 comment:

DragonPoodle said...

This will be a lovely quilt--can't wait to see how you decide to quilt it!
Cheryl Warren

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...