Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trying New Things Today

 I do make an effort to try new things every week.  This week I have a snack or light lunch and some new quilting.
With Sweet Teen gone off to school, lunches and snacks just do not come easily to me.  However, it is Fig Season, second favorite only to Cherry Season in my book.  I'm still thinking about this one.  Sour dough bread, swiss cheese, sliced figs, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar mixed with blue agave syrup.  In the microwave because I did not want to heat the kitchen with the broiler.

Then, with Little Miss Gardener basted and stabilized, it was time for some quilting.  I used the Necchi BU in the 1919 Singer treadle.  (I really need to use Ms. Verniece, the 1936 Singer 15-88 one of these days soon or she'll get jealous.)

 Feathers and Ribbons in the nine-patches and encroaching into corners of the snowballs.
 Alas, it seems I will be doing multiple thread color changes again.
I had more than a few conversations with myself about what I would quilt in the snowballs, but have pretty much settled on these feathered plumes that are almost-circles, which, for some reason I've never used before.

So, I'm documenting my attempt at something new by linking to Melissa's TNT Thursday where you can go to see what other new things people have tried.

And because I'm keeping track, I'm noting that yesterday and today, the most likely times for rain this week, we were missed again.  I even had to water the sunflowers!  But we did have the benefit of more very beautiful clouds.

Happy quiltmaking.....

9 comments:

Deborah said...

Such lovely quilting on your quilt! Yummy looking snack! Figs are a favorite of mine!

O'Quilts said...

Your quilting on the treadle still blows me away. But, it makes me smile and I could use that now-a-days!

Angie said...

I am jealous of your figs! The birds ate most of mine this year. Will have to invest in a net, I suppose. Your quilting is gorgeous - the feathered plume looks graceful and more "natural" than typical feathers.

Mary said...

You freehand really well...and on an older machine. I am impressed! Your snack is totally up my alley...a girl snack for sure.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lovely quilting. I saw a Necchi at a garage sale today, but, they wanted $250 for it. I didn't look very hard at that price.

Breesmimi said...

Hello Dora! Stopping by to from Sew Many Ways Find a friend Friday to see your beautiful quilting on a treadle! Wow! That is impressive stitching!! Please take a moment and come over to say hello.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Beautiful quilting Dora, I love how your feathers turned out!

Melissa Corry said...

your feathers are stunning!!! So something I am working on :)

Cheryl Warren said...

it's fig season here too--for the deer, the squirrels, the crows, et. al. I wish they would leave some for me, but they don't seem to understand the concept of "property".

lovely quilting, as always!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...