Monday, January 18, 2010

Decades in the Making!


I just finished the binding on a quilt that was decades in the making.
When I was about ten, my mom pulled out a basket quilt made by my maternal grandmother, Dolly (Dora) Maude Shreve Scheer sometime before her death in 1932.  Grandma's quilt was of solid violet pieced baskets on a solid white "Cloth of Gold" background.  My parents wore out that quilt; it eventually became a mattress pad and, undoubtedly, went on to become other things too.
I loved that quilt and determined that when I grew up and made quilts, I would make a violet basket quilt too.
When I get a chance, I'll take a better picture of this quilt, even if I have to put it on a bed to do it!
Because Dolly's quilt has been only a memory for several decades, this one had other sources of inspiration too.
The set is from a Crown of Thorns quilt made by a Mennonite quilter in Kansas that I saw back in the early 1980's.  I began collecting fabrics for this quilt in 1992--the first piece was purchased at Ben Franklin in Prescott, AZ.  I finally began piecing it in 2002.  I thought it would be finished in 2007--in fact, that date has even been added to the quilt.  But I just finished putting on the binding today!  So, it was a long, long time in the making!
I applied the binding with my Singer 66 Redhead treadle late yesterday afternoon.
I hope the belief that sleeping under a new quilt brings the sleepers good fortune proves to be true.  Whether or not it's true, sleeping under this quilt will be a joy!
More pictures later.......

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...