Friday, February 19, 2010

Savannah Stars & Sew-In

This quilt of mostly batiks and a printed Hoffman sky fabric was pieced and quilted in the early 1990's.  That was long before I had a computer or Electric Quilt, and it was planned on graph paper.
 
The "Baptist Fans" were quilted with Sulky silver sliver thread.
I look back at some of those older quilts now and am amazed at how much excess quilting I used. 
I never really enjoyed doing "stipple" quilting; now when filler quilting is necessary, I almost always choose some other type.

When I was first shown stipple quilting on antique Southern quilts back in the early 1980's, I was told that women just did a lot of stitches in random directions.  In fact, their stippling was in parallel rows of stitches about 1/8" or less apart.  In all the dozens and dozens of Southern quilts I've seen, I've never, ever seen stipple quilting done in random directions, only in closely spaced parallel rows.

Tonight I'm planning to join in for the Friday Night Sew-In--although I haven't decided if I'll continue quilting the Field of Tulips or work on something else or do a little of both.  You can join in too!  Just head over to Heidi's blog and sign up with the Mr. Linky.

Happy quilting......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love star quilts!! All of your work is beautiful.

Kristina

Pokey said...

Your stars and colors are beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...