Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sunshine, Anyone?

Here's another small quilt from the 1980's, machine pieced, hand quilted.  Too big to be a refrigerator quilt; well, perhaps if the refrigerator were a commercial one....
No new quilts to show; maybe I'll have some pieces to show after today.
I chose to post this one because it reminds me of sunshine trying to break through clouds--a description that fits this week.  Admittedly, compared to other places New Mexico has probably been fairly sunny--at least we've seen it a few times this week--most often blinding me in the car mirrors on the way to work.  And I shouldn't complain about that because in a couple of weeks we'll be plunged back into early morning darkness because of daylight saving time.  Whoever decided we should have more daylight saving time than "normal" time needed their heads examined. In any case, we are not accustomed to as many hours of dark, gray clouds as we've had every day this week!  (Hmmmm.....maybe I need to take more Vitamin D!--Quick, before the next storm hits!)

Here are a couple of details of this sunshiny little quilt that's been folded on a shelf for too long:
It is so very sad that all those quilts from the years when I hand quilted have faded to a shadow of their former selves--not my fault; the manufacturers insisted we shouldn't expect the dyes to hold for more than10-14 hours of direct light.  How sad!

But, hey, happy quilting anyway.......

P.S.  Today, 3/13/10, a friend called to say one of our mutual friends sent her 20 year old pictures that included at least one shot of this quilt, and that the colors were so bright.  She's going to send some of the pictures to me, so I'll get to compare.  If possible, I'll scan them for  a future post.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow! You have some beautiful quilts. I'm totally envious of your skill. I've pieced a couple of tops, but I've never actually assembled anything or done any actual quilting. I'm definitely going to have to keep up with you and find some inpiration.

Deborah said...

Whoops, that should be "inspiration."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...