Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Appalachian Baskets

I love basket quilts.  I recently posted the violet and white bed-sized quilt I finished this month.
Above is another quilt--a small one--I began back in the 80's.  I spent months and months searching for violet and yellow fabrics--those were definitely not in abundant supply in those days.  (Those were the days of peachy pinks and blues; about the only colors that couldn't be found were violets and yellows.)
I had taught several classes on basket quilts for a chain of fabric stores in the Southeast.
Somewhere along the line a woman brought in one of her family basket quilts or tops, and I fell in love with it because of the things it said about the maker; and I decided I wanted one with those idiosyncratic patches.
The maker had used a basket from another quilt, a basket on a five patch grid.  For the top of the basket, the "flower" part, she had used one half of an 8-pointed star.  Although her blocks were slightly larger, I drafted mine for six-inch blocks.
The stripe around the center was cut from a gray striped print.

Amazing how dated this quilt became in about 25 years.  Doesn't fit into my house anymore.  I'm no longer teaching quiltmaking classes.  It became a Victory Quilt--I would love to know who ends up with it.

Over the last several decades I've made quite a few basket quilts from a variety of baskets.  I might need to make another one--but I'll need to narrow down my choices quite a bit first.

Happy quilting......

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...